A2Z AFRIC

Sinking Spring, PA 19608, USA | 83 Campbell Street, Freetown
world.jpg

May 20, 2022by admin0

 In an open letter sent to FIFA President Gianni Infantino, Amnesty International and a selection of other human rights groups said world soccer’s governing body should work with Qatar to “establish a comprehensive programme to ensure all labor abuses to which FIFA contributed are remedied.”

“With six months until the opening of the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022, hundreds of thousands of migrant workers have not received adequate remedy, including financial compensation, for serious labour abuses they suffered while building and servicing infrastructure essential for the preparation and delivery of the World Cup in Qatar,” the letter read.

“FIFA should reserve an amount not less than the US$440 million prize money offered to teams participating in the World Cup, to be invested in funds to support remediation.”

There has been widespread criticism of the treatment of migrant workers in Qatar during the buildup to the tournament.

Description: Qatar World Cup: Harsh spotlight shone on human rights issues as Norwegian FA president gives scathing speech at FIFA Congress

Amnesty International says the issues, which include unsafe working conditions and excessive hours, are “widespread” in the country.

The letter also said Qatari authorities have “failed to investigate the causes of deaths of thousands of migrant workers since 2010.”

While recognizing the progress made to protect workers’ rights in the country, it said help came too late and that the country’s “kafala sponsorship system” allowed “unscrupulous employers to abuse migrant workers with impunity.”

“While it may be too late to erase the suffering of past abuses, FIFA and Qatar can and should act to provide redress and prevent further abuses from taking place,” said Agnès Callamard, Secretary General of Amnesty International.

“Providing compensation to workers who gave so much to make the tournament happen, and taking steps to make sure such abuses never happen again, could represent a major turning point in FIFA’s commitment to respect human rights.”

FIFA response

FIFA said it welcomed Amnesty’s acknowledgment of labor reforms within the country and said it, alongside Qatar’s Supreme Committee for Delivery & Legacy (SC), was “implementing an unprecedented due diligence process” in relation to protecting workers involved in World Cup preparations.

It also said it was “currently assessing the programme proposed by Amnesty International” but that the report covered “a wide range of non-FIFA World Cup-specific public infrastructure built since 2010.”

“When companies working in relation to the FIFA World Cup breach their obligations, FIFA and the SC work to ensure the wrong is made right by the entity that caused the impact, usually the company employing the respective worker,” a FIFA spokesperson said in a statement to CNN.

“As a consequence of the Workers’ Welfare initiatives by the tournament organisers, countless workers have received remediation in various forms, including the payment of outstanding wages, the repayment of recruitment fees through the SC’s universal reimbursement scheme and other forms of compensation.

“As part of the SC’s effort to ensure repayment of recruitment fees, for example, workers have received payments of a total of $22.6 million as at December 2021, with an additional $5.7 million committed by contractors.

“Other forms of remediation include the strengthening of company practice to ensure non-repetition, or punitive measures imposed by the tournament organisers or the Ministry of Labour.”

Infantino comments

In a statement, SC said it has “worked tirelessly to ensure the rights of every worker engaged on Qatar’s FIFA World Cup projects are respected.”

Qatari officials have strongly contested accusations of workers’ rights abuses in previous statements.

Earlier this year, Qatar 2022 Secretary General Hassan Al Thawadi said that his nation had “spent 12 years of continuous work dedicated to delivering a tournament that leaves truly transformational social, human, economic and environmental legacies.”

In response to Amnesty International’s latest report, Qatar’s Ministry of Labour said the country’s “labour reforms will continue to take place at a pace that ensures holistic and lasting change.”

“The new report undermines much of the goodwill that has been generated. Engagement will always yield better results than condemnation, especially when they are unreasonably demanded,” a statement read.

Earlier this month, Infantino was asked about whether FIFA would make any commitment to families of people who died in the preparations for the tournament.

“When it comes to the building of World Cup stadiums — we are investigating all these matters with external entities — it is actually three persons who died,” he said, addressing the criticism leveled at FIFA and Qatari officials about migrant workers.

“When you give work to somebody, even in hard conditions, you give him dignity and pride. It’s not charity. You don’t make charity.

“You don’t give something to somebody and say, ‘OK, stay where you are. I feel good because I can give you something.’”

The 2022 World Cup is set to run between November 21 and December 18 later this year.


jonh.jpg

May 20, 2022by admin0

 Sierra Leone will kick off African Cup Nations 2023 qualifying campaign against Nigeria on June 9 in Abuja, Nigeria, as coach John Keister names his team ahead of the doubleheader.

The Leone Stars set to open camp in the neighbouring Guinean capital before travelling to Nigeria. Moshood Abiola Stadium in Abuja will host Nigeria’s 2023 AFCON opening qualifier against Sierra Leone behind closed doors.

General Lansana Conté stadium to host the Leone Stars home tie against Guinea Bissau on June 13 as expected, the core of the last AFCON squads returns to the fold with a few notable omissions.

Prominent inclusions are defensive midfielder John Kamara of Politehnica Iași, China-based striker Mohamed Buya Turay, new skipper Steve Caulker, QPR’s defender Osman Kakay, Sirius left-back Kevin Wrights, Augustus Kargbo of FC Crotone, Italy), Issa Kallon from SC Cambuur, Netherlands and Mustapha Bundu AGF Aarhus on loan from Anderlecht.

The New names are defensive midfielder Ibrahim Sillah, Kickers Emden, Amadou Bakayoko Bolton Wanderers, Kamil Conteh, Middlesbrough, and Jonathan Morsay of Greek side Panetolikos. 

There is no place for Charleston Battery’s striker Augustine Williams, former skipper Umaru Bangura Neuchâtel Switzerland, Issa Kallon and Randers striker Alhaji Kamara who has just returned to training following back surgery.

The last meeting between the two West African nations was a 4-4 draw, played at the Samuel Ogbemudia Stadium, Benin City, on November 20 2022.

Sierra Leone qualified for the 33rd edition of the continental showpiece in Cameroon, second behind Nigeria, after defeating Benin on June 15 2021.


cham.jpg

May 19, 2022by admin0

 The 2017 PGA Championship winner is not happy about what fans will have to pay for drinks and food at this year’s edition of the major.

When Thomas got wind of a report from Golfweek’s Steve DiMeglio, which said it will cost fans $18 for a beer and $16 for a salad at Southern Hills Country Club in Tulsa, Oklahoma, he felt he had to say something.

Thomas replied to the tweet with the report expressing his incredulity.

“$18(!!!!!!) for a beer… uhhhh what. Gotta treat the fans better than that!” the 29-year-old said.

When one twitter user challenged Thomas as to where he thought the large winner’s prize pot came from, Thomas said humorously: “Tv deals, ticket sales, corporate sponsors, etc. from the looks of it if the concession stands were factored into our purse we would be playing for $15 million.”

In his pre-tournament press conference, Thomas was asked about the prices, and he once again expressed his surprise and disappointment. He said it was something that had been commented on in the changing room among his fellow players.

“I just saw it and I was blown away,” he said. “It’s just a bummer. You want people to come to the tournament. If I’m on the fence and I’m looking at the concession stand, that’s not the greatest thing. But at the same time, people aren’t like coming to a tournament, like: ‘Oh, I’m going to go buy a Michelob Ultra,’ you know what I mean.”

“I was just blown away because I’ve never seen a beer $18 or $19 in my life,” he said. “Guys have been talking about it, so I had to stand up for the fans. Felt like it was right.”


new.jpg

May 19, 2022by admin0

 EFL Championship Middlesbrough have confirmed the signing of Sierra Leone international midfielder Kamil Conteh this summer.

The 19-year-old, who was named in the Sierra Leone African Cup of Nations squad for qualifying matches on June 9th and 13th, respectively, will officially join Boro from Watford when his contract expires at the end of June.

Over the last few weeks, Conteh has been on trial and featured for the Boro Under-23s at Nottingham Forest last month.

He made his Leone Stars debut in the 3-0 defeat against Togo in an international training camp in Turkey on March 23, before he featured for half an hour of their 1-0 win over Liberia at the Mardan Stadium in Aksu, Antalya, Turkey for Sierra Leone. 

He was part of the final 2-1 triumph over Congo as the Leone Stars wrapped a successful international break.

As a youngster, Kamil was with Crystal Palace’s Academy and played for Lambeth Tigers before joining Watford as a scholar in 2018. He signed his first professional deal with the Hornets last summer.

Connect with us @football_sierra, on Facebook/ Instagram, Football Sierra Leone, the writer Alie Bittar, on Twitter @bittar32 Contact bittar@footballsierraleone.net